Pages

November 28, 2013

Meet The Team: Callis, Changeling Psion

Before I chronicle the exploits of my current D&D 4e campaign, I want to introduce each of the characters.

First in the introductions: my very own character, Callis - a changeling Psion.

Sadly, not that much art exists for Changelings.  Racists!
At level 3 on a standard point-buy system, I chose these stats:

Str: 8
Con: 12
Dex: 10
Int: 18
Wis: 12
Cha: 18

As I mentioned in a previous post, my last character was the complete opposite of Callis.  Instead of a full plate and arms bearing paladin, he's a squishy controller with an equally different backstory.

Callis is - or, rather, was - a low-level member of a clandestine spy organization known as The Circle.  This spy ring operates by expanding its network of mind-controlled operatives across the countryside to ply its trade of information gathering, assassination, and sabotage.  To what end, we have yet to discover.

Somehow, Callis escaped the bonds of his captors (I've yet to say exactly how, maybe you can help).  We started the game in the middle of a small hamlet, with him on the hunt for exactly who controlled him and for what end.

Callis blends into the city in the guise of an average human of average height and traits wearing a long, brown leather duster that conceals sturdy traveling garb and a not-inconsiderable number of daggers, mirrors, and thieves' tools.

How Does He Play?

We've had a couple of session over the last month, so here are my initial thoughts.

So far, my Psion persona has taken some getting use to, but is tons of fun.  If his backstory is slightly familiar, it's probably because I lifted it from the Jason Borne series!  To that end, I play a confident yet highly cautious character in the party.  I'm overwhelmingly curious, though, which means that I will sometimes deliberately step into things just to see what's going to happen.  It makes for far more interesting encounters.

As the controller in the group, I find it quite empowering to rearrange the battlefield and debilitate foes.  I've started him as a Shaper, which gives me the ability to conjure minor objects with pure will -- mostly for the roleplaying and coolness factors.

And best of all, I can squish monsters with my mind!

I selected a broad array of at-wills for my disposal: Dishearten, Dimensional Scramble, and Betrayal. Dishearten allows for some great mass-debuffing and with the option for improved damage.  Dimensional Scramble lets me rearrange enemies to suit my needs - and also teleport them 10' into the air for some extra damage and prone hits.  Betrayal gets stuck on the most dangerous baddie in the group.  My only downside to this layout: after I spend all my power points I don't have a good single-target power save for Betrayal.  It makes for some nail-biting episodes with the wrong positioning.

My daily is a power called Living Missile, which is the most fun I've ever had in boss fights.  Tossing the biggest foe in the room against its masses of minions is probably contributing to some grey hairs for the DM (but I'm sure he's found a way to keep me silent).

---

Have you played a Psion before?  Let me know how you interpreted your character in the comments below.

Want to see the rest of the team?  Click on over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment